From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 08:28:55 -0700
Welcome to the RECMGMT listserv Ward, and welcome to the Records &
Information Management profession.  Looks like you "drifted" into and/or
were hired into the profession the same as many of we.

ARMA is a good organization; it was instrumental in my development and
RIM-related education.  I recommend you join.

Regarding RIM-related specific education..., I recommend you study and
prepare for the certification exams (Institute of Certified Records
Managers).  Whether you ever intend to sit for the exams or not...,
preparing for them is the best RIM-specific professional development.

I will send you a separate, off-line note with an attachment.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 5/16/2009 12:01 PM >>>
Hello, my name is Ward Fennell. I am somewhat new to this industry and
would
like to make sure that I am headed in the right direction. It was
recommended by a friend to sign for this list; and obviously, I
followed
their recommendation. I am employed by a small company located in the
upper
midwest. Although the company is not large, it has  locations in
several
cities. I have been hired as the "records" person. I have a background
in finance and project management and am looking forward to handling
this
project for my new bosses.

I have a couple of questions for this group, and not really sure just
how
many there are of you, but..........

Question 1: Is ARMA a good organization? I am trying to determine where
spend my budget resources for professional development as I get up to
speed.
I have been to the ARMA website a few times and plunked around. I
notice
that I can "sign-up" for some ARMA offerings, but for others I need to
be a
member. I have sent e-mails to the "member services" e-mail that is
located
in several places on the website, but have not received a reply. I
notice
when I call the headquarters number, I have the luxury of wading my
way
through quite a few options. I would appreciate your comment.

Question 2: Is AIIM a good organization? I have signed up for many of
AIIM's
offerings and have found them to be quite numerous, which (personally)
like. I would rather have more than I can afford, or have time for,
than not
enough. I have not experienced some of the ARMA roadblocks on the AIIM
website.

In advance, I very much appreciate any and all comments...........and
"yes",
I know there are a few other associations that offer something similar
ARMA and AIIM, but these appear to be the front runners.

The New Guy (no, not the one in movie)

Ward Fennell
Records Director

the message.