From:
Ward Fennell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 12:22:55 -0500
Being new to this industry, I will not make many, if any, comments on
records and information management, but one comment I feel compelled to make
relevant to Ms. Burnett's latest comment in a long string of comments: *does
the entire ARMA organization (records management professionals) have this
same difficulty in determining what a record is / is not, or should be /
should not be?* I certainly hope not. I have followed this thread with great
interest as it appears to be quite unsettled just how this group determines
what a record is.

Ms. Burnett wrote (the last paragraph) -
*I don't know why we struggle or debate the definition of a record. It makes
the profession seem flakey*. When I think about declaring a record I think
in terms of final product, whatever the format, becomes a record. If it is a
paper agreement doesn't it become a record once fully executed? I don't
declare anything. In it's electronic form, once approved then the approver
"declares" the agreement to be a record. That's a step facilitated by the
system. Drafts and notes are work papers no matter the format. Shorter
retention period, but still a record.
Hmmmmm...........

Ward Fennell
Records Director