From:
Don Lueders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:37:47 -0400
> I think Larry makes a number of good points. The key thing for me and that
> some of you may not be aware of is that many solutions don't *do*
> forensically unrecoverable deletion. I don't think DoD 5015 requires it for
> Chapter 2 compliance (though I'm certain I will be corrected if it does :)
> ).

Hi Jesse,

You're right, somebody is going to correct you. ;o)

Unrecoverable records destruction is a core requirement of the DoD 5015.2.  Specifically, the RMA must destroy the record to the point where it can't be recovered using 'commonly available recovery software'.  This is the reason applications that store records in file shares, like Documentum and OpenText, are easier to certify than applications that store records as database blob files, like SharePoint and a few others.  It's very simple to destroy a record on a file share.  You just have the RMA write over the physical disk space where record resides with meaningless garbage a number of different times.  (A few years back, when I was still heavily involved in 5015.2 certifications, one of the intellegence agencies of the Federal government required that records be written over no less than eight times.  Anything less and they claimed they could recover it.  I'm sure that number is probably higher now.)

Destroying records stored in a database is a much more difficult process.  Mainly because databases tend to store numerous copies of the same record in different places to improve performance.  We were able to successfully destroy expired records during the SharePoint certification a couple of years ago, but it was a pretty difficult process and I wouldn't want to have to do it in a real production environment.

Don Lueders, CRM, CDIA

http://sharepointrm.wordpress.com/