From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:52:52 -0400
< We've been looking at policies/procedures for retention of these types of media.  Of course, the retention seems so tricky on these due to the relative short "shelf life" of the media.  One other issue we have to think about is longevity of the software - ie, does it make sense to retain a hard drive for 4 years if the data on that drive can not be accessed beyond 2 years?  Or do we need to convert the data on that drive at 2 years so that it can be retained for 4?  We may have 2 harddrives, one with data in Summation, the other with images in .pdf format.>

Do not confuse retention of the media with retention of the content.  Retention is set for the content based on its value.  If the media is not capable of being accessible for the life of the retention, then migration or conversion options should be implemented as part of the policy (i.e. convert the content to a media that lasts as long as the retention requirement OR build a migration schedule that keeps the content accessible for the life of the retention requirement).

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division