From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:14:40 -0700
Like Pilar I have several years of undergrad credits, but could never settle on a major. Actually I was too chicken to declare what I should have and that is liberal arts. Unlike Pilar I have always worked in or around records management. I was always going to do something else and didn't know what that would be.

Twenty years pass and I'm still in records management. I realized that I was in a viable career and as such I should take some steps to build myself professionally. I joined ARMA. I'd attended meetings for years, but was never a card-carrying member. I paid for my own membership. Once my employer saw that I was regularly attending meetings they paid my way.

I applied to take the CRM exams in 2000. For me that was way more stressful than taking the exams. Although I can be a tad cocky, I couldn't help but wonder if I was good enough to make the grade. I did get accepted and I took the first 5 exams. Again I paid my own way. This was my goal and I wanted to own it fully.

We had a little study group at work. I only studied for Part 1 though. I passed 4 of the 5 exams. At this point I changed jobs and companies. I left the company I had been a part of for 22+ years.

Part 2 gave me grief for 3 tries. I was really starting to get a complex. Meanwhile I changed employers again. I became a corporate records manager. My first gig at that level. I finally passed Part 2.

Part 6 and I had issues the first time out. It took me 4 years before I would try again. During those 4 years I thought about the exam. I contacted the ICRM about a mentor, but I never really used them. Finally last summer I decided to try again. I registered to take Part 6 last November. To prepare I accessed the exam guide from the ICRM website and I actually read it. And y'all know the second time I passed.

The whole goal was personal. I think the accomplishment will benefit me professionally in the long run. My former and current teams here at work (Legal & Technology Business Applications Support) were impressed by the exam process and I know they get it. Mostly though I get it. And I have learned a great deal about myself.

Rock on!

Sharon

Sharon Burnett, CRM
Seattle Washington USA

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and see why. If it is broke, take it apart
and see why."