From:
"Bass,Sheryl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:48:06 -0400
We are looking into that option.  There is a module available that would
allow us to offer that option to patrons, but it is costly, and there
will be patrons that will not be able to use the electronic form.  The
higher-ups aren't sure that it will save that much staff time. In my
humble opinion, we should be moving to this web-based format, because it
gives patrons another service option, but change can be a bit slow.

I also very much agree with you about not digitizing old apps.  Our
active period for library cards is 3yrs and the State Guidelines only
recommend retention during the active period.  It makes more sense to
start anew with the change in application. I don't get to make the
decisions, but I think I can make a pretty strong case against it.