From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2009 09:33:26 -0400
With all due respect, I have to disagree with Hugh on a few of his points.
<...but I now realize that ARMA and the records managers themselves have done little to protect themselves.>

I agree that RIM practitioners are not a cohesive unit putting forth our principles and methodologies.  However, we do not have a universally recognized profession to stand behind.  There are very few college degrees in records management - those that exist are mostly at the graduate level - so the profession is not as describable to the world at large as accountants or lawyers. With all this in mind, I think RIM folks are progressing with getting our message out there.  It's individuals and ARMA (especially at the chapter level) that give RIM a "face" in the business community.

< Maybe the ICRM should have oversight power on ARMA to avoid the problem of floating officers. This is a stable group and has the best interests of the records management community in mind.>

As a certifying body, the ICRM only has oversight power over certification standards and exam development/administration.  It is not structured to manage professional development and education.  That said - the ICRM Board does outnumber the administrative side, and the Board is composed of CRMs.  ARMA International staff considerably outnumber the ARMA Board and ARMA does not have professional records managers on staff. At no time was there more than one or two experienced records managers on staff at headquarters, and those who were generally functioned as standards developers and coordinators.

<The reason for this is ARMA thinks of itself as a tradeshow to garner revenue for the advancement of headquarters.>

I have to disagree. The ARMA conference is still the best place to get RIM education.  The sessions are good, informative, and timely.  The program committee, made up of ARMA members, sees to that.  When I want a conference that is primarily tradeshow, I go to AIIM.

<After all these years ARMA still seems to be designed to teach a new records clerk "What is a record..........">

Something that is still needed (see my answer to the first point).  We should not lose sight of the basics of the profession.  They form the foundation for all the new areas we encounter.

< ARMA is not an entity to promote the industry and its membership to those who's opinion can increase job security and compensation levels; and it should be.>

While ARMA should promote the industry and provide education for its membership, it is not a trade union that strives to provide job security and compensation.  RIM practitioners themselves have to do that.  Strive to be the best you can.  Become informed.  Learn to get the RIM message across through business management methods.  Get certified.  Speak up (or write up) when your corporate activities should involve RIM.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division