From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2009 09:37:36 -0700
Lauren, there's nothing simple about HIPAA, however, here are a number
of suggestions:

The fact that a record may contain health information does not
necessarily mean that it is restricted under HIPAA. It might, however,
be restricted by other regulations. In Oregon, for example, death
certificates are subject to access restrictions for 50 years. Once that
period is passed, they become openly accessible - HIPAA has nothing to
do with it.

HIPAA applies to "covered entities" and their business associates. To
determine whether you are a covered entity, Google "HIPAA covered
entity" for some good resources on answering that question.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741