From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:29:00 -0700
OK I'll admit right up front, I'm trying to take a bit of a shortcut
here. I will be developing a full retention schedule, including all
necessary research, but I was hoping to get some guidance on three
series that comprise a huge volume of our records: Title Policies,
Title Policy Claims, and Escrow documents.

Our in-house attorneys believe that most of our offices have a decent
idea of how long to keep them and are OK with letting them continue as
is until I can get around to developing the official schedule.
However, we are moving and consolidating storage vendors and as I'm
reviewing the inventories, I'm not seeing very much consistency --
even within the same state. We have thousands of these files going
back to the early 1990's. I hate to move them if they can be destroyed
now or in the near future. Does anyone have any guidance on how long
they keep these types of files? I know the Department of Insurance
would be one agency that may have applicable regulations ... what
other agencies or laws should I look at?

Nolene Sherman

Tracking where records are kept is what Tiggers and Records Managers
do best!