From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:18:21 +1000
most definitely. Amongst our family we have an HP netbook and a Samsung
laptop, both with SD slots. We use an SD card in the netbook so that you
don't have to worry about damaging a USB stick - the card is internal, usb
sticks protrude to far for safety in university lecture theatres etc. We can
transfer data of any sort from the card via the LAN, a USB-SD card adaptor
or the card slot in the LAN printer.

But it's still transitory - get home, copy lecture notes from the card onto
a desktop where it's covered by our backup protocols. We don't do any other
backup on the netbook (I have a complete drive image in case of catastrophic
failure).

So, yes, we use the SD card just like we do USB sticks. I've always assumed
that reliability and life expectancy is the same, could be wrong.

And by the way, if you are ever stuck with a failing or over-full laptop,
you can plug your digital camera into the laptop and copy any data from the
pc to the camera memory. Doesn't have to be photos, the memory doesn't know.

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.