From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:37:10 +1000
Trudi - that's my practice.

For my home setup (desktops and laptops on a mixed wired / wireless LAN), I
use drive imaging software to copy entire hard drives onto other hard drives
or separate partitions (it's faster that way) (weekly or monthly depending
on rate of change and loss impact) then I copy the drive images to external
hard drives so I've got at least two copies in different buildings, and then
periodically to DVD. So I've got copies of everything back to about 1997.

None of it on USB sticks or SD cards.

That doesn't overcome the software change over time - some of those files
are WordPerfect 4.1!

The software I use is Terabyte Unlimited's BootitNG for the drive image
backups (pretty geeky, Acronis is easier but less flexible), Teracopy to
copy 2gb drive image files from one drive to another (Windows Copy is
unreliable at that extreme especially to USB drives).

Each person is responsible for their own day to day backup, either to
separate physical hard drives (interal or external) or USB stick. I use
FreeBackup4 to simplify this.

But I still don't know the longevity of SD cards, sorry. Best assume it's a
year or so.

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.