From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:16:34 +1000
I asked 'what are we going to do instead [of retention and disposal]?

and Alison suggests (I assume) that we focus instead on making sure people
can find stuff.

I agree. My point is that there may be ways we can index and retrieve
effectively which do not include disposal. What are we trying to achieve? Is
managed disposal our objective, or is it part of the solution to better
searching? What's our real objective?

Which is why I'm spending time thinking about classification, and even
epistemology. How do we index, how do we search. Takes me right back to
library school 101, and yes, I'm even considering faceted classification, in
a different sort of way because we have to be able to hide it from the
users, and none of the software packages do it (or if they do they won't
tell).

But is that the only answer?

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.