From:
Sara Rusher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:47:12 -0400
>>For those organizations that use email auto purge policies can you
share:

>>1.       Auto-purge schedule (60, 90, 120 days, etc.)

Inbox and Sent auto-purged at 90 days

>>2.       How long are archives maintained?

Archives are stored on employees' hard drives (100 MB can be stored in Lotus
Notes (outside of archive) for an indefinite period, if moved out of inbox or
sent.)

>>3.       Are employees allowed to search the archives for email? (retrieval
rate)

Complete accessibility to employees' own archive,

So far, (having been in this position a relatively short time), I have
encountered two major problems with this system:

	- the "save everything" mentality has persisted in this organization
for far too long.  Many employees often save and archive all email, regardless
of content.

	- on the other hand however, for some entities (such as our City
Council), who do not, or cannot, actively manage their email, there is the
concern that correspondence of enduring value would be purged too soon by
this auto 90-day purge

Other than individual, active management of all electronic correspondence, I
have not seen an effective blanket solution for dealing with this. (We
now 'temporarily archive' all Council email, so that it is available for public
inspection for a minimum of one year)

I too would be interested in any input others' have to offer!!

Thanks!
Sara Rusher
City of Longmont
City Clerk’s Office