From:
"Cheng, Jason" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:46:57 -0700
Similar to most of the responses, I don't have the definitive answer on how to manage this perfectly since success will depend on:

1) Project funding and support.
2) End-user resistance to change.
3) Motivation (is this a nice to have, or a must do)

At the two extreme ends of the spectrum, your solution can either a) attempt to classify all content from the network drive perfectly, or b) add ALL content from the shared drives to the EDMRS and have users reclassify content as needed.

Let's not get into a discussion of why either extreme is not feasible, other than pointing out the final solution will be somewhere in between.

I worked for the company that created the Records Crawler (and email) solution which was then swallowed up by two bigger fish, with the bigger one being IBM.

The Records Crawler branding, I believe, is no longer the name in the later version since it is now a sub component of IBM's ICC (Content Collector) product suite.

I believe there is third party component that can assess content and create a taxonomy for records classification, but I have not seen it in action myself.

"Records Crawler" was originally created as a bulk load solution where you have relatively standard index values for all documents.

Put another way, if you have 10s of thousands of documents, and 100s of them can be added with similar index values, then the tool is ideal (you can add a few zeros to this example).

If, however, you have 1000s of folders and the content is fragmented, then a less automated solution would ensure accuracy.

In summary, it is always a balance of automating the process, or relying on human intervention, with the tradeoffs being too much manual work, or too many software issues.

I'd also like to echo John's comment about involving end users.  Somehow this often gets missed and the "Power Users" are key to acquiring buy-in.

I hope that helps.

Jason