Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:42:58 -0600
I have some knowledge of the Nebraska case and in this case the contract had
expired and the company had provided the proper notice of their intention to
not renew and move their boxes. They were willing to pay the access fees but
attempted to have the "Hostage fees" deemed unenforceable.

The case ended up with the Nebraska Supreme court that basically said, the
company (who happened to be a Law firm), signed the contract which included
the permanent removal fee and they were stuck with it.

We are now seeing these fees as high as $7.00 per cubic foot. The time to
address the fees is when your contract is up for renewal and a new Schedule
A is presented.

There are also many vendors who are willing to negotiate paying the
"transfer fees" for new business in exchange for a long term commitment.

Steve Westerfield
Benson Records Management
Omaha, NE
www.BensonRecordsManagement.com