From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:56:25 -0700
<snip>
# write cycles not relevant- if it's in storage, then it isn't getting
written to.
What's important is 'how long does the device retain the data in readable
condition?' and 'how long will I maintain a system able to read it?'
</snip>

Yes - and no. In the case of flash storage write cycles vs. read cycles do
make a difference compared to other media types because those other media
have lifecycle issues associated with moving parts, ease of environmental
contamination, scratching, stray magnetic fields, etc. Flash memory is not
generally subject to any of those, so in a storage/mostly-read state it
would presumably last decades.

You are correct of course as to the second point - which is why I made the
point about "until the data on them cannot be read due to software
incompatibility." If the flash drive in question is USB, I expect it will
remain readable for at least the next 10+ years. USB 3.0 just came out and
remains backwards compatible to USB 2. (the most common flavor of USB for
today's flash drives) and there will likely be connectors/adapters for
whatever the next one is just as has been the case in the past. The much
bigger concern is the readability of any software stored on the thing. If
the drive is used simply to store files it becomes a question of the
long-term accessibility of that format - and I addressed those. If the drive
is used to store an application, it's likely even more short-lived because
so many applications are not consistently backwards compatible between
versions and the more versions there are the greater the likelihood of
incompatibility.

Respectfully submitted on behalf of myself and no other company,
organization, association, entity, or board of directors,

Jesse Wilkins, CRM
(303) 574-0749 direct
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins