From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:37:13 -0500

>We are in the process of evaluating the destruction process for in house
>shredding vs recycling of cardboard.  I'm reaching out to the other
>record storage facilities,  inquiring as to what you do with the boxes
>once the contents are destroyed?  Do your customers request to have the
>boxes back for future use? Do you charge for the breakdown of boxes or
>cardboard recycling fees?

While I'm not a storage facility, I owned and operated one for 8 years, and
have been responsible for managing in-house records storage and destruction
functions for many years.  The answers I'm providing are from two perspectives:

As Storage Operator:
I would not return empty boxes to customers for re-use, because they likely
have identifying information on them for the records they previously held.
Record series, retention periods, seat numbers, customer account numbers,
etc.  These would either need to be obliterated or removed to ensure they
aren't re-used and don't confuse the client or operator as to the contents.

As a Customer:
I would NOT be willing to accept an independent charge for the breakdown or
destruction of boxes when I have already paid a fee for destruction of
stored records. Records are stored by the box and all charges are based on a
box (or cubic foot, in the case of unscrupulous vendors) and that includes
the cost for destruction.

If you (as a vendor) perform destruction in-house and your shredder is
unable to process the box as well as the paper/folders in them, you might be
best served by removing the papers/folders from the boxes, destroying them,
and then breaking down the boxes and offering them to a cardboard recycle
firm independently to recover some additional funds.

Larry