From:
"mckinney, susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:23:11 -0600
Let's start here - an article about starting an on-line journal.

pkp.sfu.ca/files/OJS_Project_Report_Shapiro.pdf

I've done the best I can to stay out of this argument, but I'm afraid
that all of my willpower has forsaken me.

Couple of things:  I asked these same questions many years ago to Mike
Pemberton, CRM, FAI when the RMQ/IMJ went away from a peer reviewed
journal.  I'm not sure if he remembers the discussion, but I was as
hell-bent as all of you are in trying to find a way to get this done.
He answered me in the same way as he has answered all of you in his
posts to the list.  I fretted and fussed at several people, did some
research, and came to the same conclusion as he did.  It just wasn't
viable.

Has that changed over the years?  I don't think so.  It's one thing to
talk about doing it, to wish for it, and to think of all the reasons why
it will or won't work.  But what it all boils down to is the doing.  The
starting.  The keeping it going.  And that takes people and resources.
Look at the article stated above - it is more than you expect, because
it's not just about someone writing an article and posting it on a web
site.  There are lots of things that have to happen before you even get
to that point.

Why can't ARMA do it?  Valid question.  What project that is currently
being done should be given up?  Competencies?  Salary survey?  I am not
in any leadership position in ARMA any longer, but I can tell you that
the member surveys that are done consistently ask for more guidelines
and standards.  Members what to know "How to do...", not "Why should we
do...".  They want best practices and case studies.  Doug was right -
theory bores the majority of the ARMA membership.  Now, I'm a big fan of
records management theory - I could sit and discuss it all day with you.
However, there are only a few of us who feel that way.  It may seem like
there has been a lot of discussion on the list about this topic, but if
you count the number of people who have weighed in, not the number of
posts, you'll see that it is only a few.  On a listserv of over 2,000
members, only a few people feel this way.  Ask about shelving boxes,
though - and you will get a wide variety of responses from a much larger
number of participants.  That's not to say there is anything wrong with
that, but I think it points out that many of our colleagues are not that
interested in the academic side of RIM.

So, why won't an academic institution do it?  This is a really bad time
to even try to get something like a peer reviewed journal started,
because all academic institutions are going through a financial crisis
right now and most, if not all of them, are actually cutting programs,
not adding to them.  I think the bottom line is that until big business
starts to tell academic institutions that they want RIM degrees, you
won't see much more than we've got now.  I think also that if you look
at all the programs that exist now, and look at the curriculum that is
being taught versus that which is being taught in other academic
programs, you'll see that the quality of the RIM programs varies widely.

There are a lot of things that the RIM profession needs.  There are a
lot of things that can be done that will enhance our profession.  If you
look at those needs and honestly prioritize them, where does an academic
fit?  We've admitted that there are other options if you want theory,
and going to the RMAA or RMS is a good option.  Other journals have also
been mentioned.  In the light of everything that needs to be done, all
of the things that can be accomplished, is this the most important?
Frankly, I don't think so.  It doesn't even make my list.

Fondly,

Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
100 Church Street SE
502 Morrill Hall
Campus Mail Code 0263