From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:18:38 -0500
Unfortunately, I can't get the pdf to open, but it was interesting to note
Ms Wahl stated she was asked to write an article that turned into an opinion
piece, so that may have some bearing on the content.

This is a topic that has been discussed a lot in the scientific community
over the past 10 years, with the push towards acceptance of PDF/A as "THE"
standard format for persistent access and long term preservation for images
captured of content.

One of the examples I recall in these discussions- a highly detailed
photograph is taken of a weld (supported by a radiograph) that indicates the
"color" of the weld on a pressure vessel, something critical to use when
doing evaluation of the weld at a future time.  Part of the problem is when
imaging the photo, colors may not capture accurately, and the second issue
is when portraying the images on a monitor, the colors may portray
differently on different monitors depending on the resolution, video card, etc.

For this reason, there are different standards for different uses and
depending on whether you're capturing text, images, mixed content, and the
purposes the resultant images must serve, there is a need for multiple
standard to be applied to the process.

And although this article isn't recent (2003) it was one of the best
articles I recall reading about Standards and what they are (and aren't) and
the terminologies used to describe them.  Thew primary focus of this is
"online collaboration", but it's the discussion on the various types of what
people refer to as STANDARDS that was most enlightening.  When I was Chair
of the former ARMA Standards Committee, this article provided a lot of the
guidance as we were working on projects.  http://bit.ly/8uTjBV

Larry