From:
"Marsh, Sue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:05:19 -0500
Nishika,

My thoughts are that if the company takes them before destruction, you have no long have control over them, and therefore don't know for sure what they actually have been destroyed. They could sit on an open loading dock for any amount of time; they could be riffled through by unknown persons; they could end up anywhere.  The feds are more and more concerned about identity theft, so if there is personnel info, such as SS#s, you are taking a big risk.

Sue

Sue Marsh / NFPA / Morgan Technical Library  / One Batterymarch Park / Quincy, MA  02169 / 617 984 7445 www.nfpa.org/library

IMPORTANT NOTICE CONCERNING RESEARCH AND INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE NFPA CHARLES S. MORGAN TECHNICAL LIBRARY:  This correspondence is not a Formal Interpretation issued pursuant to NFPA Regulations. Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is the personal opinion of the author, and does not necessarily represent the official position of NFPA or its Technical Committees. NFPA does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or research provided. In addition, this correspondence is neither intended, nor should it be relied upon, to provide professional consultation services.