From:
Paul Bergeron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:43:13 -0500
Just an observation:

In these days of heightened security and desire for ID document
integrity, we see more people coming into our office for birth records
only to begin arguing that their birth record is not "accurate."  "John
Paul Jones" has always been known as Paul Jones.  Paul Jones appears on
his old passport, on his Social Security card, on his voter registration
card, on his service record.  Now "Paul Jones" can't get a new passport
because his birth certificate says his name is "John Jones" and no other
record matches.

New Hampshire allows "corrections" to birth certificates with three
proofs that the original record was in "error."  Up until this point in
time, perhaps no one ever challenged "Paul Jones" on using his middle
name as his first name; now they will. The older that evidence is, the
more likely the State Bureau of Vital Records is willing to authorize a
change.  Those first-grade school records actually might come in handy
65 years after-the-fact. If Mr. Jones has been known as "Paul Jones"
since his baptism and first day at school, then maybe a case can be made
that the birth record inverted his first and middle names.

Sometimes there are pretty strange and rare instances when these old
records prove useful.

Forever is a long time, though.  Even I will admit that some records
classified as permanent probably really shouldn't be.  Give them a
hundred year retention period, if need be.  But a permanent label should
be applied with some restraint.

Paul Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street