From:
"Sletten, Laurie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 08:52:50 -0800
Good morning,
I haven't posted in ions, but I couldn't let this one go by without a
comment about student records and a retention period of permanent.

Primary and secondary school records are useful records.  When my
grandmother was alive, she had to go back to her school records in order
to get a passport as there was no birth certificate [she was born in
Indian Territory].

I think these records should be retained permanently.  They provide
wonderful sociological information about different eras in our history
(classes taken way back when like elocution, Latin, etc versus the
classes taken now) and are very useful to genealogists as they often are
the *only* record with dates of birth, address information and family
information (father's name, mother's name, siblings names and ages at
the time - often with birthdates as well for siblings).

Just to re-introduce myself:
I have moved around a bit and been fortunate to have exciting job
opportunities that have kept me motivated and learning various aspects
of our wonderful profession.

I have been a member of this listserv since the early 1990s and people
have seen (or suffered through) my postings as the Director of Records
Management Services at the Oregon State System of Higher Education, the
Associate Curator of Records Administration and Planning at the Harvard
University Archives, Lecturer from the University of Canberra, as a
Senior Records Analyst from the National Archives and Records
Administration-Rocky Mountain        Region in Denver, the Director of
the Records Management Division for the Arizona State Library, Archives
and Public Records and now at the Oregon Bridge Delivery Partners in
Salem, Oregon.

Thanks,
Laurie

Laurie Sletten, CRM, CA