From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:45:30 -0800
As a county records manager, I am repeatedly amazed at the activity
rates associated with property records, even those over 100 years old -
notable because the research is often associated with a current need,
not necessarily a purely historic interest.

In Oregon, "permanent" means 100+ years. I think this is a good
approach, as it implies a potential reappraisal in the future. In fact,
given the number of records I have seen reduce from permanent to less
than 10 years over the past 3 decades, I think the most accurate
statement is "permanent - until re-appraised". Its also notable that
records often become artifacts because of age, regardless of their
content.

Sometimes "permanent" means respect for a sacrifice, a fallen comrade, a
person of considerable bravery. Tread lightly when dealing with first
responders, or those whose jobs require that they put their lives on the
line. Perhaps there is a better way to preserve their sacrifice for
posterity than, for example, keeping all time sheets permanently.

One way to control the rate of "permanent" retentions is to tie a cost
to them. Retaining records permanently requires an investment in
systems/media/environments that can ensure long term preservation. If
one is not willing to make the investment, one is not serious about the
permanent retention. Pointing this out can often lead to negotiations on
more realistic operational needs.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Records Management Program
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Gresham, OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741
fax: (503)988-3754