From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:39:01 -0800
The type of business records you describe are the records of a legal
entity-a corporate body: charters, etc are considered
"organic" business records--the "birth certificates" of the body that
establish the business, or organization.  Destroy them, and it would be like
destroying your birth certificate.  You might have trouble proving what
rights you are entitled to, and what authorities you answer to without it.
You will probably need it for as long as you are in existence, and your
descendants might have an interest in it too. At what point do you become an
artifact?  Just a thought.

A.S.Elizabeth Fairfax, MA, CA
Island County Records and Information Management Program
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
x5569