From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:51:14 +1100
but transferring something to our particular archives authority actually
means legal transfer of title of the record, so once it's been transferred,
we don't own it any more (there are of course appropriate controls for any
restricted access still necessary). So if I use 'permanent' in my schedules,
it doesn't actually mean 'permanent'. When dealing with senior management,
I'd rather be very explicit on this, as it stops them just saying 'keep it
forever' and, more importantly, it makes them realise that I'm not being a
fuddy duddy reactionary conservative traditional records manager with my eye
shade on and my hair up in a bun (whoops, that's the librarian emerging).

So I find it politically useful to say "transfer to State Archives" - and
NSW State Records (Archives is a branch thereof) use the wording 'PSA" -
Permanent State Archives. So they agree with me - it's their call if they
want to try for 4 billion years till we get fried, I have no business reason
to use the word 'permanent' at my end.

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia
0407 187 333
These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and
they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and Glenn".
Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.