From:
Steve Westerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:34:20 -0600
Along the lines of what Steve Richards said, I too am the owner of a Records
Center, so I may be somewhat biased.

I have a related situation regarding getting what you pay for in the area of
document destruction, and would like some opinions from the group.

A client contacted us and asked the price to destroy a large number of boxes
that are currently held in our warehouse. He seemed to think the cost was
too high. He then called back and said he would have a local mover pickup
the boxes from us. When asked what he was doing with the boxes, he said they
are going to dump them in the landfill. When asked if he wasn't concerned
about the personal information contained in the files, he stated, the boxes
are old, none of that information is of any value anymore.

We know for sure the files contain soc.sec numbers, birthdates, and a great
deal of other personal information.

He will sign a release from us stating that we pulled the boxes and released
them to him.

What obligations do I have from that point on? I have an obligation of
confidentiality to maintain for my customers and don't feel that I can
divulge this information to authorities, but I am struggling with the moral
issue here as well.

I would like to hear anyone's opinions, or from anyone who may have
experienced a similar situation.

Steve Westerfield

Intended for recipient only.  Please delete and do not read any messages that are incorrectly received and notify sender at 1-402-571-3305.  Interception or review by anyone not authorized
to do so is unlawful. Note:  Because e-mail can be altered electronically, the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed. This message has been scanned with Anti-Virus
Software and no viruses were found to be present.