From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:22:36 +1100
UNOFFICIAL
Glenn mentioned that his particular "Archival Authority" calls the
'archival records' generated by Government bodies "Permanent State
Archives".

Some time ago (2001), the National Archives of Australia removed
references to "Retain Permanently" in their disposal authorisations and
introduced the concept of a disposal action of "Retain as National
archives".

This was to acknowledge the fact that permanent is a very long time
indeed, and to also acknowledge the fact that sometimes, it is necessary
to review the decisions made in the past and change the disposal action
(to something less than permanent).

Maybe a disposal action as "retain as institutional archives" would fit
the bill in a lot of cases? Assuming that your institution cares about
what an archive is, of course.

Disclaimer: Even though I work for them, I don't always speak for them.
I was involved in the discussion at the time and I do believe that I
came up with the phrase "Retain as National archives".

John Lovejoy

UNOFFICIAL