From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:02:36 -0600
Stephen,

I would agree with this especially if you're referring to shredding vendors.
My own feeling is some shred vendors may have secured their equipment and
entered the field thinking shredding wouldn't be much more difficult than
garbage collection.  Unfortunately they are discovering it's much more.  I
continue to say the shredding industry is still maturing across the board.
I'd caution everyone to audit your vendor and audit your invoices,
especially if you have multiple remote campuses being served.  Privacy laws
related to shredding are now in place where they may not have been just 2-3
years ago and the penalties can be severe, up to $5,000 per item for a
single name along with another field of personally identifiable information.
Beware of old HR file room reference binders which use Social Security
numbers to reference employee files.  I've seen reference binders like this
in several companies.