From:
Tom Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:43:30 -0500
Tyranny of Standards.  Huh?
I think Mr Sperling doesn't "get it".  Information is a valuable asset.  It is what makes one company successful and another just OK.

Not sure who he is referring to when he states "...mine the data, save what's necessary, unplug the old machines and turn it all over to someone else to keep current."

Save what's necessary -  who makes that call?  How long do you save it and why is it important?  Seems there are a few details Mr Sperling hasn't addressed.

I do understand his concept that we change the way we do business when we outsource.  So what's new?
Many of us ran internal storage areas.  We could manage them anyway we wanted.  However when we outsourced that service, we had to adapt to the requirements of the vendor. But just because we all use a certain vendor for paper storage or for "cloud storage" or computing does not mean that business will some how become homoginized.
He is stretching when he states "Outsourcing core technology will....make it far less clear where one company ends and another begins."  That just isn't going to happen.

Tom Owens
Records Manager