From:
Pat Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:01:30 -0500
<<What we REALLY NEED is a Web-based memorial gravestone (Web 2.0 for now, updates to come later). Call it a WebStone.>>

Read Bell and Gemmell's book, Total Recall: How the E-Memory Revolution Will Change Everything (Dutton, 2009) if you haven't already. Bell envisions us being able to converse with those long gone - like Lincoln. He even conducted his own experiment capturing sounds, pictures (wore a camera to snap pictures), wore an arm ban to capture biometrics, scanned paper documents such as bills, saved email, and on and on to record every aspect of his life digitally for about 10 years.

I wonder how many people would care what I saw, said, and did every minute of every day of my life???  Zero would be my bet. Of course, no one would have to sit and watch (it would take a lifetime, but the e-memories would be there for data mining.

Pat

Patricia C. Franks, Ph.D., CRM

MARA Program Coordinator

School of Library & Information Science