From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 09:43:30 -0600
Hi David,

I don't know whether Facebook, Twitter, etc. have RM programs. In fact I may
do some research and business development in that area this month. :)
However, I'm not sure that a given user's pictures, comments, etc. would
necessarily fall under the definition of a business record for Facebook - in
fact, there are probably some very good reasons why they shouldn't. Think of
Facebook as a carrier rather than a website and you'll see why - we don't
expect the local phone company to treat our calls as their business records
and need to retain them for some period of time.

On the other hand, as more folks move into these tools, particularly either
highly regulated organizations such as financial services, or governments
subject to FOIA-type laws, there may be a misconception to that end. I will
chew on this a bit after reading the article (and the various' services
Terms of Service) and may make this the subject of a future blog post.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins, CRM
(303) 574-0749 direct
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins

<snip>
One does wonder if the various social media vendors has a records management
program and if they do how would such a program apply to the data posted by
their users?

David B. Gaynon
</snip>