From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:46:40 -0400
I agree with what Larry said, especially:

"For my money, a "standard" that hasn't been developed according to the rules set forth for Standards Development by organizations whose role that is results in a document that is not much more than a guideline."

However, with NARA saying "Our endorsement approves the current DoD standard as one possible approach to managing electronic records.", it seems that some individuals and organizations referring to these as "standards" (government, industry, de facto, or otherwise) will never go away. Many individuals are looking for a "safe bet" and saying they are recommending something that is a "standard", even for another realm, makes it seem less risky for them to recommend it. They may not welcome the challenging  intellectual work and organizational collaboration that real requirements definition entails prior to system selection. They may be personally uncomfortable with requirements definition, have an uncooperative IT staff, need to collaborate with demanding business departments or have marginal budgets to obtain what they need. Citing standards helps their business case incorporate more than their embattled opinion into the selection process.

However, in the end only concentrating on "cost effective solutions that meet our requirements" is really a safe and targeted way to make recommendations.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.com