From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2010 17:22:36 -0400
Nick, the critical issue here is the retention designation "permanent".

Water and sewer infrastructure tends to be VERY long-lived.

The classic example I like is the water supply system for the ancient city of Rome.

Construction on the system began in the 4th century BCE, and the system was functionally complete by the end of the 2nd century CE.

Parts of the system continued in use until the siege of Rome in the 16th century CE, at which time the last aqueduct was cut.

This water supply system was therefore in continuous use for almost two thousand years.

Another, more recent example is the water supply system for the City of New York. The Croton system (one of three) is more than 100 years old. It is being upgraded by adding a filtration plant, but there are no plans to take it out of service.

So defining the retention of water and sewer infrastructure records is reasonable, but it raises the question of how to ensure they remain accessible and useable for the life of the infrastructure.

As has been discussed many times on this listserv, electronic records have many advantages, but longevity over decades and centuries is not one of them.

Thus the State Archivist's requirement to maintain an analog hard copy (in this case, microfilm), is well-founded.

For those interested in the water supply of ancient Rome, the standard reference is "De aquae urbis Romae" by Frontinus, Sextus Julius (? - 103/104 AD). Frontinus was Rome's water commissioner (curator aquarum) at the end of the 1st Century AD under the emperors Nerva and Trajan.

"De aquae urbis Romae" is available for free in translation from several sources. See http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Frontinus/De_Aquis/text*.html and http://www.waterhistory.org/histories/frontinus/.

Best regards.

Fred Grevin