From:
Stephen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:13:02 -0400
"What I can offer is the actual average weight of letter/legal size records storage in storage.  It is 29.9 lbs."

Caroline:

For a STD size storage box, I would go with an average weight of 30 pounds.  I have posted about this before, but before moving to PA to work for QVC, I worked for CompUSA in Dallas.  Back then I had the opportunity with another unfortunate soul to withdraw all of our storage boxes from our vendor and set up an inhouse facility.

The vendor limited the amount we could withdraw daily to 170 boxes.  The building we moved into did not have a dock so the aforementioned other unfortunate soul and I would load the boxes into a van and move them to the new building.  It took us two van trips to do that and a lot of trips in and out of the building using carts to get all of the boxes in there.

You are probably wondering what this has to do with the average weight of a STD size box.  Well, all I can tell you is that after moving 170 boxes each day in the Texas heat in the middle of summer, those boxes felt a lot heavier than 30 pounds by the time we were done.  Multiply that by the 2 years it took to finish the project and they felt more like 100 pounds each!

Sorry, I couldn't resist a little Wednesday humor.  I think the 30 pound per box average works for actual weight.  Perceived weight is another story.

Thanks, Steve

Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CRM, CDIA+
Records Manager
QVC, Inc.  Internal Audit
O:      484.701.1559
F:      484.701.1021
C:      484.905.2517
E:      [log in to unmask]
A:      Studio Park, 1200 Wilson Dr., MC207, West Chester, PA, 19380-4262

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. This e-mail may also contain (a) information subject to the attorney/client privilege, or (b) attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail (even if the e-mail address above is yours), (i) you may not use, copy or retransmit it, (ii) please delete this message and (iii) please notify the sender immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.