From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2010 11:36:12 -0400
>Vaughan Spooner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> (Snipped for brevity, but you SHOULD read the entire post!)
>
>I would like to end by stating quite categorically that I support
>standards for doing business. However, they must be simple, relevant and
>user driven!
>
>I look forward to comments from the many experienced practitioners on
>the listserv - which so far has not been very forthcoming and is
>desperately needed for this situation!

I won't attempt to answer Fred's questions for Vaughan, as I think others
have seen, he can speak well enough for himself =)  After reading Vaughan's
post I must admit I'm having trouble sitting still this morning.

I think much of what was said in this post is what I've been trying to get
across in the messages I've sent to this list, and let me state clearly that
nothing weighs in louder than multiple comments submitted by multiple
individuals to organizations such as NISO/ISO/ANSI etc.  As stated by
others, NISO holds the TAG for TC46 and they have 70 member organizations in
the US.  For comments to be hear loudly and clearly, they need to be
submitted through these member organizations.

I spoke with NISO this morning, and as of today, 4 have already submitted
affirmative votes to accept as -is, 4 have stated they will abstain, and the
remainder have yet to weigh in.

ARMA, NARA, and AIIM are among the members- and generally speaking, these
members are the ones who inform practitioners and professionals, among other
potentially impacted parties, of the existence of a draft Standard that may
have an impact on their profession.  They aren't generally expected to weigh
in with their "vote of the voice of one"; they are expected to seek input
from THEIR members.

Unfortunately, these documents have been in process for 3-4 years and NO ONE
has bothered to inform any of us of their existence, and now they are in the
final draft state.  The comment period is May 28-Oct 7 2010, so there is
plenty of time to weigh in, and if you intend to, I'd suggest you "cruise"
this website http://bit.ly/dqCUvN and try to figure out which member
organization you want to submit your comments through, and CONTACT THEM VERY
SOON to let them know you want to submit comments BEFORE THEY VOTE.

I've decided which of the three I named above I'll be submitting my comments
to, but I don't want to influence any of the rest of you to do anything
other than SUBMIT COMMENTS.

Here's the rub- each member organization only gets one vote (this is NOT
Chicago!), and it's up to them to determine which (if any) comments they
receive to submit with their vote.  Because this has reached the DIS status,
NISO/ISO do not have to accept comments along with ballots, but the process
is rather rigid and they DO VIEW negative comments as important.

I can't explain to anyone WHY we've seen nothing on these work products
since work began in 2006/2007- I know that a certain association has had
people traveling to Foreign Countries to attend ISO meetings, so it's not as
though the opportunity hasn't been presented for the information to be
gathered and disseminated.  I don't know why we had to hear about this from
the UK in early June when the balloting opened up on May 28th, or WHY we
STILL HAVEN'T HEARD it directly from any of the US Member Organizations.
NISO has told me they communicate with their members, and they expect their
member organizations to pass the word to their respective members.

What matters most is that we as individual professionals who are aware we
are going to be impacted by these documents make our intentions to submit
comments known to the voting members and that we ensure they will be willing
to take out comments forward and include them with their ballots.

There have been a number of comments submitted here on the Listserv that
give some 'flavor' of the concerns with them as written- everyone will
likely have their own issues with the structure, content, format of the
documents, so I doubt there will be a common voice on all issues, but their
will be a very similar voice on many and hopefully they will all be heard.

I intend to re-post this on Tuesday, because I know many are already in
Holiday Weekend mode and I think it's critical enough that we don't lose
this opportunity to participate in this process.

Larry