From:
Vicki Wiler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:11:33 -0500
Although I've benefited from reading the information shared on this listserv for several years, this is my first posting, so I should introduce myself. I've worked for ARMA International, primarily in publications-related positions, since 1992. I became its director of publications in 2005, with responsibility for the book and magazine publishing programs. Since assuming responsibility for ARMA International's standards development program late last year, I have been working with Nancy Barnes, Ph.D., CRM, to continue her excellent work managing our standards projects and get up-to-speed on the complex processes required for developing ISO and ANSI standards.

The recent thread about ISO/DIS 30300 and 30301 has raised many good points and certainly stimulated an internal discussion about how better to inform records and information management professionals about opportunities to contribute to and review draft ISO standards and provide comments for ARMA International to consider in developing its formal vote on them. I want to share how RIM professionals can get involved in this process and some strategies we've drafted to improve how we communicate those new opportunities and ARMA's activities related to them.

Opportunities to Review and Comment on ISO Standards

RIM Review Group
We do still ask members of the ARMA International RIM Review Group that has been mentioned in some postings to review and provide comments that will help us make better-informed votes on ISO drafts, as well as to review and comment on ARMA-developed draft standards before they are finalized and published for public review and comment. We select two or three RIM Review group members who have indicated on their applications they have experience and expertise related to the topic of the draft and contact them directly. For example, we recently leveraged two members of this group to review and comment on the three parts of ISO 16175: Information and documentation - Principles and functional requirements for records in electronic office environments. We incorporated those comments into ARMA's negative vote; although there were other negative votes and comments, the standards were approved. This highlights one of the important factors in the ISO review/approval process; while member organizations within a given country, such as ARMA in the United States, may submit comments and vote, each country submits only one vote to ISO. For the United States, the country vote is facilitated by ANSI in conjunction with the TC 46 / SC 11 US TAG (NISO).

We periodically broadcast an appeal for members for the RIM Review Group, but the application is available at all times on the standards and best practices portion of the ARMA International website. You can find the application for this group in the drop down list under "Current Projects" at www.arma.org/standards/development/standardsprogress.cfm<http://www.arma.org/standards/development/standardsprogress.cfm>. (See www.arma.org/standards<http://www.arma.org/standards> for an overview of all ARMA International standards activities.)

Going forward, we will publicize the search for additional members of this group more frequently and make it easier to find this application. We will also work to improve the standards area of the ARMA International website to provide more information about and evidence of ARMA International's standards-related activities, including posting ARMA International's votes and comments.

ISO/DIS 30300, ISO/DIS 30301, and ISO/CD 13008
I have not yet solicited RIM review members' participation for ISO/DIS 30300 (Information and documentation - Management system for records - Fundamentals and vocabulary) and ISO/DIS 30301 (Information and documentation - Management system for records - Requirements), which are draft international standards that opened for public review in late May, or for ISO/CD 13008 (Information and documentation - Digital records conversion and migration process), a TC 46/ SC 11 committee draft, which opened for public review and comment last week. While we are free to provide these documents to those who wish to review and comment on them, they are copyright protected, and we are prohibited from posting them in the open where they can be freely accessed. So, anyone who is willing to review and provide comments to ARMA International about any of these drafts is welcome to request them by contacting [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. (The deadline for comments to ARMA on ISO/CD 13008 is Sept. 14, 2010, and the deadline for comments to ARMA on ISO/DIS 30300 and ISO/DIS 30301 is Oct. 11, 2010.)

Going forward, we will solicit volunteers to review ISO drafts as they are being developed. We will also publicize more broadly the opportunities to review and comment on ISO drafts as they become available at their various stages of development. This will include posting a notice to the RM listserv, alerting the entire RIM Review Group, posting a news item on the ARMA International home page, including an announcement in InfoPro, and including information about it in the standards area of the ARMA International website.

Opportunities to Develop, Review and Comment on ARMA International Standards Projects

Projects in Development
Interested parties can find a list of and apply to work on ARMA-initiated standards projects at www.arma.org/standards/development/standardsprogress.cfm<http://www.arma.org/standards/development/standardsprogress.cfm>. You will see there are three projects nearing completion now, so we are not seeking members for them. However, we expect to launch three new projects this summer, which will be listed here and announced in the communications venues mentioned above.

Projects Open for Public Review and Comment
When ARMA-developed standards reach the draft stage and are available for public review and comment, they are listed at this link: www.arma.org/standards/development/public/index.cfm<http://www.arma.org/standards/development/public/index.cfm>. No public reviews are open now, but watch for an announcement about the Pat Franks-led project, Implications of Web-Based Technologies in Records Management, which is scheduled to be published for public review in early August.

We are very pleased to see so much interest in and enthusiasm about developing records and information management standards and look forward to engaging many of you in ARMA International's activities in this arena. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly with suggestions or concerns related to standards development or ARMA publications.

Vicki Wiler, Director of Publications
ARMA International
11880 College Blvd., Suite 450
Overland Park, KS 66210  USA +1 913.217.6014 /  +1 888.299.3239 (U.S. & Canada)
FAX: +1 913.341.3742
www.arma.org<http://www.arma.org/>