From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:35:07 -0400
Based on the info on this page:  http://bit.ly/d0d3vl

I'd have to agree these were tapes.  The page states they were picked up for
shipment to a data management firm Feb 26 who later confirmed that a portion
of the files were destroyed.  It doesn't say if they were ALL RECEIVED and
some mishandled within the facility, or if they only received a portion and
failed to notify the hospital at the time.

I guess the things that are sort of unclear to me are:

- how many units were sent
- how many units were signed for by the shipper
- how many units arrived at the data management firm
- was there a proof of delivery requested
- if not, why not
- why did they wait so long to find out if they were received
- why did they wait so long to ask about proof of desctuction
 (they said they learned on June 17)
- how can they say they complied with notification requirements if they
waited a month
  (they said they wanted to look everywhere before they notified anyone)

And here's the biggie... they said these backups included info on patient,
employee, physician, volunteer, donor, vendor, or other business partner
associated with South Shore Hospital dating BACK TO 1996???

Why would ANYONE have backups that were 14 years old and were generated by a
system you no longer had access to or weren't using?

Larry
[Yes, it's really me =) ]