From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:03:56 -0400
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The problem with automatic deletion is one of perception, and
>justifiably so - it relies on the ability of a user to make a
>declaration decision within a short period of time, then implements an
>automated deletion process not made by the user or records custodian.
>This is not an automated disposition process - for that to be the case,
>the declaration decision would need to be automated, then the deletion
>decision. In my opinion, it is no different than bulk deletion at a
>later date not informed by retention.
>
>A better option is to provide short mandatory training on what to delete
>and what not to delete, followed more extensive, voluntary training on
>desktop records management. Its easier to train "delete" than "declare",
>and in this scenario, the deletion decision is being made by the records
>custodian.

We may be in NEAR VIOLENT AGREEMENT HERE... =)

...on all but one point.  IF there is a records management policy AND a
retention schedule, it makes sense that it should be simpler to offer
mandatory training on WHAT TO KEEP rather than what to discard- in fact, it
should be required that all employees learn what to keep.

My point is once they either receive and read or create and send an e-mail
message, PRIOR to them saving it, they would have to make the decision and
apply an action to save it if it is a record.  If not, then it just gets
left in the in or out box, and it's automatically deleted.  Nothing gets
deleted unless it's been 'touched', so if someone is on leave or vacation
(or whatever) items in their in-box wouldn't be touched until they had been
acted upon.

And while the ultimate in awesomeness would be for them to directly declare
it and assign a record series or retention period to each item, the stop gap
is to simply say "Yep, it's a record" and place it in the record pile for
later application of the correct retention period.  Stage two can involve
developing a 'pull down menu' of folders for each user or functional group
of users, or figuring out if there is a tool that can use some from of
automated categorization and apply retention schedules to messages for you.

But like you say, this is also a discussion for another day... (but I HAVE
seen this deployed and working!)

Larry