From:
David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:29:13 -0400
Over the weekend an interesting article entitled "The end of forgetting" was
published as the lead article in this publication.  The author is Jeff Rosen a
professor of law at an east coast university.  Your can see the full text of the
article at

 http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/magazine/25privacy-t2.html?
_r=1&ref=magazine

He begins with Mayer-Schonberger's publication "Delete" but he is just using
this as a starting off point.  Professor Rosen reports that there are a number
of fascinating ideas, proposals, concerns circulating in response to concerns
over the loss of forgetting in our virtual world.  Below you will find a few points
from the article that I found especially intersting.

Rosen suggests that in some ways the dramatic growth of the internet and
social media undermines the American notion of reinventing one's self which he
assoicates with the 19th century phrase GTT (gone to Texas) that debtors
somtimes posted on their front door as they left in the middle of the night.

Rosen quotes from Alex Turk, the French data protection commissioner who
called for a constittional right to oblivion.  He references two Argentine writers
who have called for a movement to reinvent forgetting on the internet.

On the technology front companies are starting to market the service of
sanitizing your internet records.  One such company is ReputationDefender
formed by a Harvard Law School Grad who thought it unfair that a posting
made by a 15 year old could be used against him 40 years later.

Rosen also raises some intersting issues of what we may be in store for as we
shift from web2.0 to web 3.0.  which combine facial recognition software with
current data aggregation tools.  In response to this situation Professor Zittrain
who teachers cyberlaw at Harvard has suggested that individuals should be
allowed to declare reputational bankruptcy once a decade and wipe that onlne
presence clean.  Zittrain i concerned over the development of tools that will
assess one's attractiveness and employability with a score similar to a FICO
score

An interesting technological approach is being developed by researchers at
the University of Washington who are working on a technology that allows
users to establish an expiration date.  They hope to do this by encrypting
data and then at some point destoying the encryption key.

Of course a social media vendor could establish a defacto retention period for
data.  However, this is not the direction which they are mostly seeking.
There of course could be regulations on how such information is managed and
how long it is kept.

All of this suggests that there is a lot of concern and that this is an area that
we as records managers should be following.

David Gaynon
Huntington Beach CA