From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:46:41 -0400
PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Nashville - 1,600 Traffic Stop Videos Accidentally Deleted -
>Metro police said Thursday that about 1,600 traffic stop videos, perhaps
>including some DUI arrests, were accidentally deleted by in a
>vendor-generated computer software upgrade.

So this is a pretty classic case of how not to do things

1) The vendor is allowed to 'push' a download of an application directly to
the production system, NOT to a test server or to an administrator for them
to implement the upgrade?

2) The backups were kept for only 30 or 60 days for active cases where
evidence would be needed to support them instead of any case that goes to
court being transferred to another storage system and retention being set to
match the need?

3) Backups were being used for retention instead of the files being copied
to a more secure storage system?

4) The client BLAMES THE VENDOR because they failed to take sufficient
measure to prevent a 3rd party from having direct access to a production
system??

If the vendor didn't have a 'no fault' clause in their agreement, I'd be
REALLY surprised.

Man this is worse than using a 3rd party to store your records and not
having sufficient protection requirements!

Larry