From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 07:46:48 -0500
I'd need to understand a little more about your perspective, but can make
some general comments.  Records research software is  certainly quite
useful.  The packages I know of and use are thorough, but I have found
holes, so remember that no product is absolutely comprehensive.  It's
usually one or two people at the software companies literally trying to read
and interpret new laws, regulations and changes in existing laws and
regulations and with the federal government, 50 states, territories and all
the foreign research, there's a lot on their plate and few things that are
completely obvious without a careful reading of the law.

The software will be a great assist in three areas, requirements,
considerations and will give you suggestions both for categories and
retentions.  Though the suggestions are only that, once in a while these
will give you something in a pinch.  I would suggest the training for any of
the software you choose so you understand their intents as well as how they
suggest it be used.

The one area there is no substitute for is knowing your records.  If you're
refreshing an existing (and assumedly once valid) retention schedule, you
may know your records A to Z, but I don't know enough.  Operational
requirements are just as important as legal requirements and considerations.
Operational requirements are also more fluid.  Something as common as a
change in leadership of a function at your company may sometimes change the
operational requirements.

If you have the resource and haven't already done this, using the ISO for
Work Process Analysis for Records Management (ISO 26122) is an excellent
tool for looking deeper than an old school inventory and gives a better base
for managing electronic records of all kinds.  In the same way that adding
the Cash Flow Statement to the Balance Sheet and Income Statement in
financial accounting in the 1980s when it became a mandate, offered another
dimension, Work Process Analysis for Records Management (not a mandate)
similarly offers an additional dimension for records management.

Best wishes on your presentation.  I may not have answered your request
right on the mark, but wanted to offer those few things.

Tom