From:
Fern Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:19:51 -0700
Barry
I agree, in fact your own legislative research may be best because you will
have notes on file regarding the reasons for decisions. You should work with
whatever legal help is available and use their reference material. Research
legislation directly, not with software. Much is on the web now. Other
research will include interviews on how and why the information is used, why
it might be a record and provision of guidelines on what to do if it is not
a record; probably a policy should support the retention research, and
possibly the policy comes first, but not necessarily. Please do include
electronic formats, email and organizational drives, at least in principle.
The research will need to realize that duplication is a reality for
electronic information so don't even try to manage copies the same way as
paper documents. If a refresh of an existing schedule look for discontinued
activities, new acquisitions, and re-read the legislation references for
revisions.
Fern Phillips, CRM
Canada