From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:27:49 -0400
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I think if I were in this situation I'd ask my management:
>
> "Is the firm you contract this responsibility to going to accept liability
> for their research?  If it turns out they provide incorrect information and
> we apply an improper retention period, will they be fined, or will it still
> be us?"

Alternate way to look at is like the relationship one has with their CPA tax
preparer. My accountant has prepared my income tax returns for almost 20
years now, if the taxing agency has any problems/questions about the return
I send it on to him. He then takes care of the problem.

I would expect that a RM consulting firm that prepares/develops a records
retention schedule for a client would perform the same type of service for
their client as does the CPA. That is if the retention schedule is called
into question I would expect that consulting firm to step up to the plate
and explain how the retention periods in question were derived and decided
upon. how the schedule is implemented is the client's responsibility.

Researching, interpreting and applying various statutory and regulatory
recordkeeping requirements is almost as  bad as researching, interpreting
and applying the Tax Code.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va