From:
"Cutts, Tammy D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:24:39 -0700

I'll throw in my $.02. While the drive north on Hwy 1 is beautiful, I
would suggest heading south. And don't just stop at San Simeon--come on
down to Morro Bay or San Luis Obispo. Either is an excellent launching
site to explore San Luis Obispo County. Let me entice you:

Buildings
*Hearst Castle
*Mission San Luis Obispo
*Assorted Adobes
*Victorian homes in SLO

Wine Tasting
*Wineries from Arroyo Grande to Paso Robles

Kayak Rentals
*Morro Bay (Estuary)
*Avila Beach (Harbor)
*Shell Beach (Cliffs)

Food
*Outstanding restaurants throughout county
*Santa Maria-style Tri Tip (eat it with salsa, not BBQ sauce for the
original experience)
*Visit See Canyon apple orchards for wide varieties of apples and fresh
cider (I go to Gopher Glen for Braeburns, myself)

Hikes & Walks
*Cerro San Luis (Madonna Mountain)
*Bishop's Peak
*Montana de Oro (mulitple paths to cliffs, tide pools and the sand
spit-Valencia Peak-Point Buchon Trail)
*Point Buchon Trail & Pecho Coast Trail are both on PG&E property Pecho
Coast is more strenuous of the two, guided and takes you to a
lighthouse; Point Buchon is a 3-year old trail along the cliff and you
can see the power plant on a clear day. Information, photos and
Reservations for either can be made here:
http://pge.modwest.com/pgereservations/trailschild.php?pid=2

Beaches
*Morro Bay
*Avila Beach
*Pismo Beach

Tammy Cutts | Nuclear Records Analyst
PG&E | Diablo Canyon Power Plant

<Walt said:>

Going either north or south up Highway 1 would be my first
recommendation.
South takes you through Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz and then to the
beauties of Carmel and Big Sur maybe as far south as the Hearst Mansion
in San Simeon.  North takes you up an amazing coastal drive to the
Redwoods north of Eureka.  My preference would be north but both are
fabulous drives.

A day in the Wine Country (I prefer the Sonoma Valley to Napa, less
traffic) is a wonderful day, lots of shops and wine and shopping and
beautiful scenery.  Beautiful, but just a day.

Either the north or south drive could take as long as you want.