From:
Faduma Khalaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:07:36 -0700
Hello Todd,

The Records management office where I work offers workshop at least four
times a year,
covering two main areas:

1.  Introduction to FOIPOP and Records Management:

         ·  create objective and professional records
         ·  carry out privacy practices in compliance with the Act
         ·  distinguish between a formal and informal information access
            requests
         ·  submit privacy complaints and formal requests to the Records
            Management and Privacy Office
         ·  distinguish between records, non-records, and transitory
            records
         ·  identify and submit records to the designated filing repository
         ·  maintain personal electronic and paper files efficiently
         ·  use the Directory of Records database (in-house database) to
            retrieve records.

2.  Records Management Systems Level II  -  A prerequisite required is that
FOIPOP and Records Management's has been taken first

The session covers:

               ·  the principles of records series and case files;
               ·  to uniquely classify and code case files with suitable
                  retrieval keys and arrangement;
               ·  to conduct a records inventory and implement a
                  departmental file system (electronic and hard copy);
               ·  how to use automated files management tool; and
               ·  how to review, transfer, and dispose records according to
                  the records retention schedules.

The first training workshop lasts 2 hours, and the 2nd three hours.  The
information that needs to processed can be overwhelming for staff,
thus the level 1 and level II works well, and we offer booklets in both
workshops.

The workshops are facilitated by the Manager of the Records Management
office, and are followed (as needed) with one-on-sessions that the
Assistant to the Manager gives
at the office of the staff member, utilizing actual files, gives hands-on
training with the in-house RM system, along with the published RM
Guidebook. Once the department is established,
and we have agreed upon what retention is appropriate or convenient for
them to use, then it becomes routine maintenance of their records, ensuring
that new staff are consistent with the standards set.

I hope you find this information useful to you.

Best Regards,
Faduma

Faduma Khalaf
Operations and Information Assistant

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Todd Johnson <[log in to unmask]>                                                                                                              |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |21/09/2010 02:10 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |RIM Training Topics                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>                                                                                              |

I have done general RIM trainings for both executives and general
employees,
but I have never implemented a full-fledged RIM Learning Program. I now
have
that opportunity at my new employer and I have come up with the following
topics to spearhead the learning initiative.

1) RIM 101 (Basic RIM)
2) Litigation & RIM
3) Applying the Records Retention Schedule
4) Using the Records Center
5) Email Management
6) Electronic Records Management & Classification

Some of these trainings can't take place until other RIM initiatives are
complete. I also realize not every employee may need a full training on
each of
these and I will have to tailor each program for the intended audience.

With that said, I'm looking for feedback in the following areas:

1) Have you trained on other RIM topics that you would recommend?
2) Should I keep 6 trainings or offer fewer and combine topics? What has
been
successful at your organization?
3) How long do you like to keep your trainings to?

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.