From:
Doug Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:48:08 -0700
We depend on attorneys to close matters.  This is done thro
Barbara,

We depend on attorneys to close matters.  This is done through our business
intake workflow.

We are instituting a system to close long open clients and matters.  We have a
process to close any clients which have had no billable receipts in the last 12
months.  The attorney is asked to justify keeping the client open.  There are
several specific justifications, but they are narrow.  Unless the attorney
provides the justification, the client will be closed with the issuance of a
closure letter.

We repeat the same process for inactive matters of open clients, but shorten the
time period to 6 months.

One key to this process is the billable receipt.  If your standard is activity,
an attorney can bill time and write it off.  We require that the firm has
actually been paid to not trigger the process.

My firm's former GC and I created this process to solve two problems.  We wanted
to eliminate inactive clients which could prevent from the firm from taking on
new profitable business.  Our retention program is triggered by client or matter
closure.  This process advanced both efforts.
 Doug Smith
Washington, D.C.
202-719-4455