From:
Gregory Kalagian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:37:54 -0400
I have been a lurker on the Listserv for a number of years and have found it
to be very informative. Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Greg Kalagian
and I am the Records Manager for a town in Connecticut. I was just contacted
by my boss who had met with the head of our local government and it was
suggested that we scan all the paper records for the town and maintain them
in a searchable database. My question to members of this listserv is has
anyone scanned all of their paper records into a digital database and are there
any vendors you would recommend to use for this project? Also is there a
particular software program you would recommend for this project?

     Having just been informed of this plan I am still in the process of
determining the volume of records to be scanned. My guess is we are talking
about 1,000-1,500 standard record boxes plus another 1,500 maps & drawings.
I know my question is a little short on hard numbers but any input from the
group regarding this type of project would be appreciated. One of the
products that my IT department has suggested we look into is a product from
Square 9 Softworks called Smartsearch 2.3. If anyone is using or has used this
product I would appreciate your feedback Feel free to contact me individually
if you don’t wish to post your reply to the Listserv.

Greg Kalagian