From:
Nick Naubert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:18:13 -0700
Julie,

I don't assume to speak for other records centers around the country but it is standard practice in our region that the previous vendor provide the customer with an electronic copy of the database(excel, access, .csv, .pdf). We ask that our new clients request such a database from the previous vendor during the transition process, and typically that vendor will do so.

On occasion we have had to work with .pdf documents, but we have had pretty good success with converting those to a more manageable and useful format. I would try pushing for another format. Simply said, if you don't ask...you don't get.

I would also add that from a vendor perspective it is never an enjoyable experience to lose a customer to a competitor, and obviously it would be preferable to retain the customer and their business. It is inevitable that at some point, we are all going to lose a customer to the competition for one reason or another, and that is just a reality we as vendors have to face. However, it only serves to burn bridges when the outgoing vendor makes the exit process more difficult than it needs to be. It only ensures that the customer will not consider that vendor for future services or needs.

Good luck with your transition.

Just my two cents.

Nick Naubert
Washington Archives Management

This e-mail and any attachments are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, and are legally privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, any review, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail. Allwest Transportation, Inc. DBA Washington Archives Management does not guarantee the integrity of any e-mails or attached files.  It is also not responsible for any changes made to them by any other person.