From:
Irene Eklund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:24:57 -0400
I am re-sending this message because it appears to have been rejected
for posting.   I apologize if you are receiving this message twice.

I am working on a project in order to standardize the way information is
entered into our storage database.  This database is run through
Microsoft Access and allows us to track the files we have sent off site
to our off site storage company.

Information which we can currently enter and track in our database is as
follows - (1) File Number, (2) Storage box number, (3) Department, (4)
Storage Date, (5) Destruction Date (we enter a standard 10 years from
the storage date for this), (6) Closed Date (date the file closed out),
(7) Attorney, (8) Client, (9) Claimant, (10) Box Contents, (11) Notes,
(12) Recall Date, (13) Recall Return Date, and (14) Recall Requested by.

There has been some debate among the Records staff members on the best
way to standardize certain entries into the storage database.  In
particular, I am looking for feedback on ways that you would "best
recommend" standardizing entries for the following situations -

1) How do you handle an entry when you recall a file from storage that
is being reopened?   Do you delete the record?   Do you leave the
record?  Do you override the box field and enter in the word "remove"?

2) How do you handle an entry for files/boxes that have been permanently
removed from storage?

3) A file is recalled from storage that is not being reopened but the
box has been returned to storage?   How do you handle updating the
database?   Do you override the existing entry and completely change the
box number?  Do you make a whole new entry?  If you make a whole new
entry, what do you do with the existing entry in the database?  How do
you avoid having duplicate entries

4) How do you generally ensure that your records are kept up to date
when files are removed from boxes?

Thank you for all your helpful information and feedback.

Irene Eklund
Donovan Hatem LLP
Seaport East
Two Seaport Lane
Boston, MA 02210

617.406.4607 (direct)
617.406.4501 (fax)
Confidentiality Notice: This message is intended only for the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege or other confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you.