From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:05:49 -0700
This inquiry is directed primarily to RIM professionals working or experienced in the investment adviser/private equity/hedge fund sector.  If there's anyone in this sector that has implemented retention rules for tax returns and supporting records, I'd be interested in chatting with you.  At my organization, we've already done all of the legal research for tax records retention in all of the various jurisdictions where we do business.  We know the minimum retention periods, the statutory limitation/assessment periods, and the various retention triggers.  However, I'm trying to get a handle on how others have dealt with corporate tax returns vs. fund entity tax returns vs. investment asset tax returns.  Also, how to handle supporting records such as accounts payable, expense reimbursement and other accounting records that have different retention minimums in and of themselves but that underlie the tax returns?  If there's anybody out there in listserv land that has already tackled these issues for a private equity firm, please send me a reply note so I can follow up offline.  Thanks very much.

--Lee

[cid:image001.jpg@01CB7068.A24E6EF0]
Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management